SOA Vacuums Remove Soil and Protect Indoor Air
Under the Seal of Approval vacuum program, manufacturers must meet higher performance standards and are rewarded with Bronze, Silver, or Gold ratings. This program tests two general categories of vacuums:
- General-purpose vacuums approved for use on all conventional carpet styles.
- Vacuums specifically approved for use on carpet with low pile, or surface texture measuring approximately a quarter inch or less.
To earn the CRI Seal of Approval certification, vacuums must pass the following independent laboratory tests:
- Soil removal — CRI uses NASA-enhanced x-ray fluorescence technology ( How Space Technology was Adapted for Carpet Cleaning ) instead of traditional gravimetric testing to measure the precise amount of soil removed from carpet — either 30 oz/sq. yd. commercial cut pile carpet or 30 oz/sq. yd. loop pile carpet. Read More in CRI Test Method 112 .
- Dust containment — The vacuum must not release more than 100 micrograms of dust particles per cubic meter of air, keeping dirt and dust locked tight in the vacuum — not escaping back into the air where it can be breathed. Read More in CRI Test Method 113.
- Surface Appearance Change — The vacuum must not affect the texture of the commercial cut pile carpet (900 passes with sample rotated every 50 passes) more than a one-step change based on one year of normal vacuum use. Read More in CRI Test Method 114 .
Vacuum Your Way to Cleaner Carpet and Cleaner Air
High-performance vacuum cleaners have a significant impact on improved indoor air quality (IAQ). At the same time, vacuums that effectively remove and contain soil while keeping the carpet looking good will help carpet last longer. Ultimately, better performing vacuums provide a greater return on your investment and ensure a healthier indoor environment.
Use of the CRI Seal of Approval program assures proper and easy carpet maintenance. This important testing program has raised the performance bar for all vacuum cleaners on the market, resulting in cleaner, longer-lasting carpet and improved indoor air quality. So look for the Seal of Approval logo or label on packaging, displays and on the machine itself.
ANCHOR – Vacuum Testing Criteria
Vacuum Cleaner Testing Criteria
1. Two categories of SOA Vacuum Cleaners to be listed on the CRI website:
- Vacuum Cleaners Certified for Household Use
- Vacuum Cleaners Certified for Commercial Use
2. Household Use Vacuum Cleaner Program:
- Performance Standard:
|Soil Removal||Dust Containment|
|Bronze||40 – 49%||≤ 100 µg/m3 of dust particles|
|Silver||50 – 54%||≤ 100 µg/m3 of dust particles|
|Gold||≥ 55%||≤ 35 µg/m3 of dust particles|
- Texture Protection Standard: The vacuum should not affect the texture appearance of the carpet more than a one-step change based on one year of normal vacuum use.
- XRF Carpet Test Samples:
- 30 oz/sq. yd. residential loop pile carpet
- 25 oz/sq. yd. residential cut pile carpet
3. Commercial Use Vacuum Cleaner Program:
- Performance Standard: Same as Household Use Program above.
- Texture Protection Standard: Same as Household Use Program above.
- XRF Carpet Test Samples:
- 30 oz/sq. yd. commercial loop pile carpet
- 30 oz/sq. yd. commercial cut pile carpet
- A vacuum cleaner must comply with the Texture Protection Standard before being considered for a Bronze, or Silver, or Gold SOA/GL certification.
- A vacuum cleaner must comply with both the corresponding Soil Removal Standard and the Dust Containment Standard before being considered for a Bronze, or Silver, or Gold SOA/GL certification.
Seal of Approval Vacuums Test Program Protocols
- CRI Test Method 112
Standard Laboratory Test Procedure For Evaluation of Vacuum Removal of Solid Particulate From Carpet.
- CRI Test Method 113
Laboratory Test Procedure For Quantifying Respirable Particulate From Vacuuming Carpet.
- CRI Test Method 114
Standard Laboratory Practice for Carpet Surface Appearance Change Due To Vacuuming.
- CRI Test Method 115
Standard Laboratory Test Practice For Determining the Power Use Effectiveness of Residential and Commercial Vacuum Cleaners.