If You Can Measure It, You Can Improve It
CRI’s Seal of Approval (SOA) program is all about cleaning efficacy and constant improvement. We wanted to know how well vacuums, extractors, and cleaning solutions worked to clean carpet, so we developed the carpet industry’s only scientific program to test and measure the effectiveness of cleaning products and equipment. The program helps consumers make informed decisions and manufacturers improve their products. The results are cleaner, healthier, and longer-lasting carpet.
What is Being Tested?
There are seven performance attributes SOA products are evaluated on:
- Soil Removal Efficacy: How effective is the product at removing soil?
- Resoiling: Does the cleaned sample attract soil at an accelerated rate or not? (solutions and systems)
- Residual Moisture: Does the extractor or cleaning system remove most of the moisture that results from a wet cleaning process?
- Surface Appearance Change: Does the product leave the carpet minimally changed after multiple cleanings? (vacuums and extractors)
- Colorfastness: Does the product cause a color change in the carpet fiber? (solutions and systems)
- pH Level: Is the pH level between 4 and 10? (solutions and systems)
- Optical Brighteners: Does the product contain optical brighteners? None are allowed for SOA certification. (solutions and systems)
A Little Help from NASA
The positive effects of the SOA program can be seen at every level of the carpet industry.
Consumers: SOA helps consumers make better purchasing decisions by ensuring that the products they choose will work. Consumers get a healthier environment in which to live and work – and a maximum return on their carpet investment.
Carpet Cleaning Product Manufacturers: By using the test results to see product strengths and weaknesses, manufacturers get a better idea of what they need to improve. That leads to more effective products going to market. For their efforts, the manufacturers gain the added credibility of the Seal of Approval label on their products.
Carpet Cleaning Professionals: Seal of Approval products helps cleaning professionals gain SOA certification. The certification differentiates them against the competition. It also helps them do their jobs better, which means more satisfied customers, more repeat business, and better word of mouth for their business.
ANCHOR – SOA Program Manual
The Seal of Approval Program Manual
The Seal of Approval program is governed by the SOA Progam Manual. The policy, procedure, and operations of the program are each outlined in the manual. The SOA Program is available for download at the end of this section.
ANCHOR – Certifying A Product
Certifying a Product
Applying to have your product certified under CRI’s Seal of Approval testing program is easy. Just download the appropriate information packet from the links to the right.
CRI Seal of Approval information packets include the following documents:
- Participation Agreement for the program
- Product Submission Form
All invoices must be paid before testing can commence.
SOA Fee Schedule
After performance testing is completed, certified products (solutions excluded) are eligible to display the Space Foundation seal in addition to the CRI Seal of Approval. This is an optional branding opportunity and involves a separate signed agreement and additional fee.