SOA Solutions: Top Performers on Spots and Stains
Spills and spots are inevitable, but they do not have to be permanent. The right cleaning solutions can help keep the carpet in your facility or home looking its best. To identify superior performing cleaning products, CRI has developed the Seal of Approval (SOA) program for solutions. CRI worked with an independent laboratory to develop a testing program for evaluating carpet cleaning solutions. The SOA program was launched in 2004 to test cleaning solutions and other carpet cleaning equipment. CRI uses scientifically developed cleaning methods to identify which cleaning solutions work best. The SOA program tests the following types of solutions:
- Pet Stain & Odor
- Spot Remover
Strict Standards for Testing Cleaning Solutions
To earn the Seal of Approval certification, cleaning solutions are tested on the following criteria:
- Cleaning Effectiveness — ensures that the product meets SOA criteria for removing soil or stains
- Rate of Resoil — ensures that the product meets SOA criteria for minimizing resoiling of treated areas. Resoiling is the propensity of a cleaning solution residue to attract soil at an accelerated rate.
- pH — ensures that a product meets SOA criteria for pH. A more neutral pH ensures that carpet dyes and fibers are not adversely affected by the cleaning solution.
- Optical brighteners — ensures that a product meets SOA criteria for the absence of optical brighteners. The presence of optical brighteners can alter the color of the carpet.
- Colorfastness — ensures that a product meets SOA criteria for maintaining colorfastness. Colorfastness is the level to which a chemical residue contributes to color change when exposed to accelerated light.
- Odor (applies to Pet Stain & Odor solutions only) – ensures that a product meets SOA criteria for eliminating odor.
The Bottom Line
Seal of Approval cleaning solutions effectively remove stains and soil without adversely affecting the appearance or the performance of the carpet — a wise investment for commercial and residential purchasers. So be sure to check that your carpet is being cleaned with CRI Seal of Approval-certified carpet cleaning solutions to get the most our of your carpet investment.